Saturday, March 5, 2011

Not Ready to Turn Over a New Leaf

Reporter test drives all-electric Nissan Leaf, experiences "fuel envy" and has to call a tow...

BARRONS 3/5/11: Ouch! The all-electric Nissan Leaf I was driving came to a standstill in downtown Manhattan, its battery pack dead, the closest charging station nearly a mile away. As gas-guzzling Porsches and a Lamborghini rolled by, I mused on my fate. Then I called for a flat-bed tow back to Brooklyn.

Officially, the Leaf's range is 100 miles but that's only in city driving. On a highway, it's less, much less. I got warnings after about 60 miles, and a dead battery at 82. Going 65 mpg to keep up with traffic cut my driving range. [remainder behind paywall but contents reflected in video below]. Note: even if the reporter made it to a charging station, it takes 21 hours to fully recharge the Leaf on 110 volts, and 7 hours on 240 volts.

Taking the Nissan Leaf for a Test Drive 3/5/2011 11:02:09 AM Barrons

Reporter Naureen Malik test drives the Nissan Leaf and concludes the all-electric Leaf has its attractions -- but not if you run out of juice in Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment